Zeeland Community Recreation
Premise: This project serves to reinforce an established relationship between Zeeland Public Schools and Zeeland Community Recreation. As the popularity of Zeeland’s Community Recreation Program continues to grow, so does its need for additional space and improved facilities. This new facility has been designed to accommodate the needs of Zeeland Public Schools’ physical education program, while providing a resource that is accessible to the community.
Design: The construction of new administrative office space, a weight / cardio vascular room, fitness studios, shower facilities and the renovation of existing swimming pools allowed Zeeland Community Recreation to expand their programs and services. The design of this facility creates a new ‘front door’ for the program, while remaining physically connected to Cityside Middle School in downtown Zeeland. The material palate references the existing building though the use of masonry, while more modern materials such as glass and metal panels help to establish its presence on a busy downtown corner. The use of glass also provides views to the exterior, while simultaneously allowing visibility into active spaces. A two-story lobby provides access to administrative offices and major components of the Recreation Center, while creating a space that serves as a waiting area, refreshment station and general gathering space. The addition of a new curtainwall in the existing natatorium separates two existing pools, thus creating two distinct enviroments – a warm pool than can be used for recreation and therapy, and a pool fit for competitive swimming and diving.
GMB’s Mechanical Engineers implemented a unique mechanical design incorporating geothermal heat pumps and roof mounted solar collectors, which work together to provide heating and cooling for the new facility as well as the ability to capture solar energy for use in heating the existing swimming pool during the winter months.
- New office space for Zeeland Community Recreation Department
- (2) New second floor fitness studios – designed to accommodate aerobics, yoga, spin, etc
- New locker facilities for Community Recreation
- New Weight Room / Cardio Vascular Room
- New first / second floor lobby spaces, providing access to administrative offices as well adjacent recreation facilities
- Hybrid solar/geothermal heat pump system for indoor pool heating and space conditioning
- Roof mounted flat plate solar collectors
- Renovations to existing swimming pool and locker rooms