South Elementary School
The new South Elementary is a replacement school for a building originally built in the late 1950’s. The opportunity arose for this small elementary school to be relocated to a new campus, making way for the construction of a new high school. A consensus based design Charrette process was implemented to capture all the stakeholders for this new building, allowing students, staff, and community to provide targeted input within a four day process. Stakeholders for the new building desired the continuation of the small feel, family centered atmosphere while creating an environment that was comfortable for the students and promoted extended learning spaces. The exterior architectural expression and detailing point to the agrarian landscape and context that the rural site contains. Construction type was based on a simple masonry bearing and steel truss roof, while the exterior materials of wood siding, wood windows, and low sloped roofs add a residential quality for the students to connect to a neighborhood scale and atmosphere. Playground separation is naturally created by the buildingís wing layouts. The storm water runoff basin creates an outdoor learning zone for environmental classes with an outdoor platform classroom. The clearly marked entry draws visitors, students, and parents to the front door by bus, car, or foot. A heat pump mechanical system was selected for maximum space climate control and energy efficiency.